NBC is the oldest serving bank in Tanzania with over five decades of experience. We offer a range of retail, business, corporate and investment banking, wealth management products and services.
The Bank traces its origins to 1967 when the Tanzanian Government nationalised all financial institutions, including banks. In 1991, the banking industry was deregulated and six years later, in 1997, the institution then known as National Bank of Commerce, was split into three separate entities:
- NBC Holding Corporation
- National Microfinance Bank (NMB)
- NBC (1997) Limited
In 2000, the South African banking group (Barclays Africa Group), at that time known as Absa Group Limited, acquired a majority stake of 55% in NBC (1997) Limited.
The Government of Tanzania retained a 30% shareholding and the International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, took up 15% shareholding in the bank. The new entity became known as NBC Limited.
Our values can be summed up as RISES
Our accolades and awards
- 2005 Bankers Awards (Corporate Bank of the Year)
- 2005 Bankers Awards (Special Technology Awards)
- 2009 TRA Compliant Large Tax Payer Award
- 2009 African Banker Award (Best Local Bank in Africa)
- 2015 Asian Banker Award (Best Retail Bank)
- 2015 NBC Voted 2015 – 16 Superbrands
- 2017 Best Islamic Retail Bank Award
- 2017 NBC Voted 2017 – 18 Superbrands